The Asia Center Stands with Asian and AAPI Communities
The Harvard University Asia Center condemns all anti-Asian racism, including the recent acts of violence in the U.S., and we stand with the Asian and AAPI communities throughout the world who have suffered from racism historically and up to the present. Unfortunately, these are only the most recent incidents in a long history of scapegoating immigrant communities and should be deplored along with other racial injustices occurring around the world.
Through our programming, the Asia Center strives to create learning environments where open discussion and a range of perspectives help to advance knowledge of topics that include difficult ones such as racism and injustice. To this end, we have organized the first in a series of events on the topic of anti-Asian racism, to take place on Thursday, April 1 at 4:00pm, titled “Advancing Justice: Responses to Anti-Asian Racism,” moderated by Dr. Vivian Shaw, College Fellow in the Department of Sociology at Harvard University and the Lead Researcher (co-PI) for the AAPI COVID-19 Project. We hope you will join us for some of our upcoming programs that address these disconcerting issues and will support these affected individuals and communities through education, action, and solidarity.
If you or someone you know is in need of support or needs to report an incident, please see the following list of resources compiled, compiled by some of the Harvard Asia-related centers.
Resources for Students
- Harvard Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations (EALC) Statement on Asian and AAPI COVID-19 Related Harassment and Resources
- GSAS Office of Diversity and Minority Affairs
- GSAS Office of Student Services
- CAMHS Anti-Asian Racism Resource
- Anonymous Bias Incident Report Form
- Harvard Counselling Services and Mental Services
- Smith Campus Center (617) 495-2042
- Harvard Law School: Pound Hall (617) 495-4414
- Longwood Clinic: Vanderbilt Hall (617) 432-1370
Resources for Staff & Faculty
- Harvard Employee Assistance Program
- Women in Tech (WIT): Standing in Solidarity Against Anti-Asian Violence
- Association of Harvard Asian and Asian American Faculty and Staff
Resources for Students, Staff, Faculty, and the Community
- Harvard Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Resources for Supporting the AAPI Community in Georgia and Processing the 3/16 Mass Shooting (compiled by Harvard student organizations)
- HUPD provides information on hate crimes. If you have experienced a hate crime or bias, you can contact HUPD at (617) 495-1212 or the local police. For general inquiries, contact HUPD at (617) 495-1215
- Resources to Support and Stand in Solidarity with AAPI Americans: Created by the Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging at HGSE
- Stop AAPI Hate – Site for reporting incidents againstAsian American and Pacific Islander communities
- The Asian American Commission of Massachusetts will be hosting a town hall next week on Anti-Asian Racism to highlight how the Asian American community in Massachusetts is organizing against racism and learn how to support our community during the pandemic.
- Committee of 100 is a Chinese-American organization advocating on these and other issues pertaining to Asian Americans